Who the heck likes Valentine’s Day? You know, the most commercial, AND emotionally loaded, AND consistantly disappointing, AND painfully corny of all “holidays.”
I know I didn’t. I didn’t like it at all. When I was a single teenager, I found it stupid. When I was a coupled young adult, I found it stupider. But these last few years as a single young adult? WELL. That’s a different story.
Now, I proudly enjoy Valentine’s Day. Here’s why you should, too:
- If you want to watch something romantic and cheesy, you’re TOTALLY ALLOWED. In fact, it’s festive.
- If you want to watch a kickass action film, you can to that too. In fact, you’ll look pretty ironic and awesome.
- Your excuse to host a fondue party IS RIGHT NOW.
- Valentine’s Day memes are fantastic.
- You can dress cutesy. Or sexy. Or wear red/pink/purple/hearts in the most shameless way possible and YOU’RE JUST CELEBRATING, GUYS.
- Chocolate goes on sale tomorrow
- Lingerie goes on sale tomorrow.
- So-cute-it’s-almost-offensive teddy bears go on sale tomorrow (early Christmas shopping, anyone?).
- Showing affection is good.
- Oh, and if you say you don’t enjoy those silly ten cent Valentine’s “cards”…you’re lying.
- Observing how other couples roll (or refuse to roll) through this day is fascinating. I’ll bring the popcorn.
- You can make all your food heart-shaped! Think of the possibilities! (…I have hobbies, I promise.)
- Flowers are beautiful and alive and they smell good. If there are more flowers in your general vicinity because of this day (even if it’s just cuz your co-worker has an admirer or two), be grateful for it. Being indoors with no visible symbol of growth around isn’t healthy. Life & colour, resulting from the celebration of love? Score.
- And, yes, flowers will also be on sale tomorrow.
- If you work in an office, let’s be honest…someone will probably bring in candy. Hit the kitchen, kids.
- I guarantee you that your single friends will want to hang out.
- You DON’T HAVE TO CARE about this day. Seriously. Everyone kinda thinks it’s stupid. Just roll with it and have fun. Genuine “caring” not required.
- Valentine’s Day breeds bitterness. Bitterness breeds good comedy. Your funny friends will probably be funnier today.
- Smithsonian Folkways’ “Happy Valentine’s Day” playlist alone makes the day worth it. [You can jam out with the playlist for free on Spotify and Rhapsody, along with Rdio and MOG]
…and, if you’re still not convinced? *sigh* Okay, then. This is for you: